Sasquatch PSA: Torchlight 50% off! (PC)
The headline says it all, friends. Steam is running one of its beloved Weekend Deals on Torchlight, a game we at Silicon Sasquatch hold very dear to our hearts -- even though we've only played the demo (a lot). But now everyone can have the clever action RPG from Runic Games for just $9.99 (normally $19.99) until Monday! It's a steal, so go grab it right now. Don't have Steam? Get it. Don't have a PC? Buy one -- or at least put Windows on your Mac. Linux...sorry?
And did I mention that you can have a dog or cat companion cart your loot back to town for you? I'll let Penny Arcade explain.
Read after the break for more details.
Critically, Torchlight has been given its fair share of praise. Called "the best Diablo clone in years," it's no shock considering the developers' pedigree. Runic employs some key staff who worked on the Diablo series. But Torchlight is still its own unique and refreshing experience, despite its strong resemblance to Blizzard's franchise.
If you miss this weekend's sale, there's a chance that Torchlight will be going for $9.99 again on Direct 2 Drive during their "24 Days of Christmas" extravaganza. Check out this Cheap Ass Gamer thread for potential evidence (scroll to "List of possible upcoming deals" and click the "show spoiler" button).
I'll stop writing now, and let the official Torchlight website detail the rest:
The adventure is set in the mining settlement of Torchlight, a boomtown founded on the discovery of rich veins of Ember – a rare and mysterious ore with the power to enchant or corrupt all that it contacts. This corruptive power may have dire consequences however, and players set out into the nearby mountains and depths below to discover the full extent of Ember’s influence on the civilizations that have come before.
Players will choose from among three character classes, and venture from the safety of the town of Torchlight into randomly generated dungeon levels, with a huge variety of creepy monsters, endless variations of loot to find, and quests to complete. The endless randomization ensures a long-lived gameplay experience.
- Randomization – Our level layouts are randomly created, so each adventure is unique. Monsters, treasures, puzzles, and items are also different each time you embark on an adventure.
- Easy, approachable interface – Torchlight is designed to be easy to play right from the beginning. The intuitive interface gives players easy access to a rich and varied world.
- Retirement System – Once characters are sufficiently leveled up, they can “retire” and bestow specific benefits and perks to new characters.
- Pets – Players will choose a pet to accompany them. Pets can level up along with the player, and will help in battle, carry items, and perform a variety of helpful services.
- Character Classes – Players will create and customize a character and choose an animal companion. Through cosmetic choices, skill path decisions, and the treasures they acquire, each character will be custom-tailored and different.
- Fishing – Players can take a break from the high-energy pace of adventuring to visit one of the fishing holes and relax and see what they can catch. Fish have interesting benefits for the player and pet, and other rewards can also be discovered
- Editor – Runic Games is embracing our modding community by providing an editor so our players can create and design their own content.
Note: We aren't being paid for this at all. We just really like Torchlight.